Users’ Rating (Click a star to rate this gun.)
Summary: The description, specs and photos for the LAR Grizzly pistols.
The LAR Grizzly is a scaled-up 1911-style pistol chambered for magnum and other heavy duty ammo, including .50AE, .45 Winchester Magnum, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, .38 Super, 10mm, 30 Mauser and 9mm Winchester Magnum. A 6.5″ barrel is standard, but other lengths are available, including 5″ and 10″.
- A Browning-type locked breech, short-recoil operated action with a tilting barrel and swinging link;
- a beveled magazine well;
- a combat-type flat, checkered, rubber mainspring housing;
- rubber grips;
- a polished feed ramp and fitted and polished/throated barrel chamber mouth;
- a fitted GI-type solid barrel bushing; and
- three safeties (i.e., a grip safety, a manual thumb safety and a slide-out-of-battery disconnect safety).
Available options include muzzle brakes, non-standard grips, compensators, special finishes and custom display cases.
The Grizzly is no longer in production. LAR Manufacturing began producing Grizzly Mark I models during early 1980s. Standard models were chambered in .45 Winchester Magnum, but patented factory conversion kits were available for a variety of calibers.
Later, LAR began producing two slightly enlarged versions known as Mark IV and Mark V. Mark IV pistols were chambered in .44 Magnum, and Mark Vs were chambered in .50AE.
Click here to read a comparison of the Coonan, Desert Eagle and LAR Grizzly in the December 1993 issue of Guns Magazine.
|.45 Winchester Magnum||7+1||6.5″||10.5″||1.125″||5.75″||53 oz. loaded|
|.50AE, .45 Winchester Magnum, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, .38 Super, 10mm, 30 Mauser, 9mm Winchester Magnum||n/a||6.5″, 5″, 10″||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
Shop for this gun on GunBroker.com.